By Lambert Strether of
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. And I must be completely out of touch, because the Detroit Lions won!
Ferguson protesters target Black Friday sales at major chains , in suburban, upper middle class areas “previously untouched by the unrest” . Great. I’m sick of Black Friday myself.
Shoppers dodge National Guard trucks, police cruisers, and media vehicles on their way into stores . George Bush: “Go shopping.”
Pregnant woman loses eye after police shoot bean bag at her . Non-lethal doesn’t mean without consequence….
The cop McCulloch did indict . July 25, 2014, two weeks before Wilson whacked Brown.
Handy tip for police: Avoiding the Darth Vader outfits and treating protesters as fully human moral agents brings calm . Who knew?
Ferguson businesses hit in the riots worried about filing insurance claims . Because their rates might go up.
Ferguson Peace Train .
“How we’d cover Ferguson if it happened in another country” . Onion-grade trope. Wait ’til you get to the part about President Xi.
Class and race in US police killings: A further comment .
Boycott planned for companies that brought suit to shut down Mongkok, with handy map .
Joshua Wong: Students won’t try to retake Mong Kok .
Mainland opinion on Occupy split; a large majority thinks they should be shut down immediately .
What I am deeply concerned about is the radical reaction so many of our mainland youths and netizens have toward Occupy Central. In their eyes, it’s as though the students illegally blocking Hong Kong streets and roads are digging up their ancestors’ graves – or as though these protestors had hidden hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars in their homes.
Of course, both government and business on the Mainland dig up ancestor’s graves for development and steal tax money all the time. So, savvy strategic hate management by the powers that be?
Good detail on the Hong Kong election commission, and a trial balloon for compromise .
Clinton Watch: Day 1 of . Got to start the clock ticking sometime! (And if there is a statement, I’d love to see it; I’ve looked, but I can’t find one. Thank you, readers!)
“[T]he complex and meticulous backstage efforts to manage” Hillary Clinton’s “lucrative speaking career” . Hey, who wants to break Hillary Clinton’s rice bowl? It’s the content of the speeches — clearly also produced by a complex and meticulous process — that concerns me.
Since all the Democrats ever do is kick their base and say the other guy is worse, why not elect real Republicans? .
Post-disaster fingerpointing .
Big Brother Is Watching You Watch
UK ISPs wish the security services demanding all that surveillance data had a clue .
Rahm Emmanuel rakes in $400K, as contribution limits are removed in what looks like a “Chicago Way” scam . A candidate filed papers, then didn’t. Odd, that. “Emanuel’s third donor to re-contribute after making a maximum contribution is John Arnold, a retired billionaire hedge fund manager and former Enron executive who runs a foundation with his wife, Laura Arnold.” Wait, let me guess on that foundation. Charters? .
Obama should really stop patting Peña Nieto on the back .
Maps and Mapmaking
Protest mapping . Great visualization, stops in 2012.
Tax foreclosures in Detroit .
Tracking global fishing through satellite data .
News of the Wired
- If you’ve lost Anna Wintour…. [, “Are Flip Phones Having a Retro Chic Moment?”] There’s also that your ten year-old flip phone isn’t likely to turn itself on and send all the personal data it can suck up to the NSA’s servers.
- Data scientists need to correct for biases in social media datasets . The data isn’t about persons; it’s about personas. How hard can this be?
- Automating the Mac .
- If a bird strike can take down an airplane, I don’t see why a drone strike couldn’t . “[W]e have to program basic safe-flying practices into the firmware.” What could go wrong?
- The FBI agent in charge of naming bank robbers .
- Video of black cosplayer with fake samurai sword getting whacked by cops .
- Parents furious after unannounced shooter drill at Polk middle school . Next time, no weapons.
- Reporter’s family history, and the Sand Creek Massacre [, “My Great-Great-Grandfather and an American Indian Tragedy”]
- Scores of military officers and policemen have been killed since Army coup last July .
- Syrian refugees crossing into Greece, and what they do next .
- The rise of Angela Merkel . An Obama, Putin, Clinton, Merkel celebrity cage death match would be something to see. Say, we’re seeing it!
- Is slime mold smarter than we are? . How hard could that be? More seriously, intelligence could be more widely distributed than we think.
- Darwin’s notebooks digitized and placed online .
Readers, feel free to with (a) links, and even better (b) sources I should curate regularly, and (c) to find out how to send me images of plants. Vegetables are fine! Fungi are deemed to be honorary plants! See the previous Water Cooler (with plant) here. And here’s today’s plant (furzy mouse):
Yes, in the “winter”!
Talk amongst yourselves! Readers, I’ve been, if not incapacitated for the last few days, not exactly capacitated. Normally, I’d have been looking for stories that were buried by being released at 5:00PM on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Did you spot any?